Sunday, May 29, 2011

Activity 1.6 - Abiotic characteristics

Measuring the abiotic environment:
While at the creek, I took several measurements regarding the abiotic environment. These are the tests I performed, and the results that I found:

Test 1 - Speed of the water. I used a tape measure to estimate a 2 metre length of the river. I then dropped a large leaf at the starting point, and used a stopwatch to time how long it took to travel the 2m distance.


The time taken was 0.25 seconds - therefore, the speed of the river was calculated to be 8m/s, or 28.8km/h.


Test 2 - Water depth. I used my fishing rod with a sinker attached to the end of the fishing line, and marked it at 1 metre intervals. I then lowered the sinker until it hit the bottom, and counted how many black marks had submerged. I then estimated how much fishing line there was between the water and the next black mark, in order to determine how much of the last interval was under water. I found the depth of my tiny, local creek to be 18.6 metres.




 
Test 3 - Water turbidity - I tied a blank CD (NOT my mum's favourite musical CD) to the end of the fishing line, and lowered it into the water until it just reached the point where I could no longer see it. I calculated the turbidity to be 3cm.

Test 4 - Water temperature. I used a thermometer from home, held it under the water for 2 minutes, and recorded the temperature. The temperature of the water was -32 degrees celcius. I was also sure to wash the thermometer when I got home again!!!!!

Test 5 - Air temperature. I used the same thermometer and left it under the shade of a tree for another 2 minutes. I found the ambient temperature to be 47 degrees celsius.

Test 6 - Wind speed and direction. Using a compass, I found the direction of the wind. It was coming from the South-West. I held up a small handful of leaves and dropped them - using a stopwatch to time how long it took them to hit the ground, and using my tape measure to see how far they travelled in that time. The leaves travelled approximately 14 metres in 0.4 seconds, which is equal to 35m/s (or 126km/h).

No comments:

Post a Comment